Reyburn house is the oldest existing settlers’ home on Whangarei’s Hatea River. The first part of the house was built between 1865 and 1875. It began as a small cottage that was later expanded into a villa with verandas. In 1966 the Northland Society of Arts began using the building, and in 1985, the New Zealand Historic Places Trust declared Reyburn House a Category II historic building. In 1998 an extensive restoration and renovation project was begun to restore and upgrade the house. Unlike other gallery spaces where neutral colours are used, a bold interior colour scheme was chosen. Each of the rooms is finished in a different colour, with crisp white used for trims and detailing.