Clendon cottage was built for James Clendon in approx. 1834, having had many alterations Clendon Cottage today is principally a cira 1970's reconstruction of one of the earliest buildings in Russell. The front façade and much of the ground floor is however original and is a Heritage New Zealand, Pouhere Taonga, Category 2 listed structure. Our commission was to alter and renovate the structure to become the gateway for visitors to Pompallier House as well as providing a souvenir shop, small coffee shop, public toilet and offices for the Pompallier estate workers. Care was taken to preserve the archaeological heritage of the site and building which was challenging for special planning of the alterations. We were involved not only with the Architectural commission but also undertook the Resource Consent and planning work associated with this Heritage buildings.